Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Shake it, Shake, Shake it, Shake it

Being a Midwestern bride I wasn't very familiar with the idea of a second line until Weddingbee's Miss Star filled me in. I didn't know the tradition of having a band lead the way, the bride & groom carrying parasols or the guests waving hankies, but once we started exploring the tradition of second lines I got more and more excited to incorporate these elements.
My mom got right on the idea of the guests waving white hankies. She started scouring the Internet looking for white handkerchiefs until I stopped her dead in her tracks.
A couple of months before I had seen the wedding of Grace Bonney, creator of the much loved Design*Sponge. Grace & her fiance, Aaron sent screen printed handkerchiefs as invitations and I loved the mismatched look of vintage hankies.
Once my mom got on board we started scouring antique malls & eBay looking for vintage hankies and I'm proud to report that we have (almost) all of them.
We want to make sure our guests have them on hand for our second line so the current plan is to wrap them around our ceremony programs as belly bands and attach them with a sticker that instructs our guests to wave them with all of their might as we make our way to the reception.

Are you incorporating any traditions in a non-traditional way?

No comments:

Post a Comment